Monday, December 5, 2011

Musings from the Hamster Wheel

I have been running for just about two months now (!!) and, in that time, I have discovered some interesting things about my indoor track known as the Hamster Wheel...

1.  Stay to the Right Except to Pass
As I was once pulled over by a cop on my way to Payson for this, this is a rule I already know.  I just never realized that it applied to running.  As a slow runner, I find that I am frequently being passed by faster runners as well as passing slower walkers.  And, in either case, you pass on the outside.  Usually.  What causes me no end of consternation though is the "friend walkers."  I can call them this because I used to be one of them...and sometimes, I still am.  They are the ones that walk next to each other on the track...slowly...without paying attention to the runners around them.  When there are multiple runners on the track, these people become a serious annoyance when two runners want to pass at the same time.  (This happens more frequently than I originally thought.)  Inevitably, one runner has to slow his or her run.  So, if this is you, pay attention to the people around you and when there are multiple people looking to pass, stop talking for three seconds and both of you move to the inside.  It would make life so much better for the rest of us....

2.  It's Not a Sobriety Test, People
Those lines on the track...they aren't to see if you can run in a straight line.  Seriously.  That's not the point.  They are to separate the lanes.  No joke.  I seriously spent a good portion of my cool down last night having to pass a man who was WALKING the line between the two inner lanes.  Please, Dude...pay attention to those around you.  While I understand that sometimes it's hard to stay in the lines on a difficult workout, it shouldn't happen on EVERY lap...

3.  The Hamsters
The most entertaining part of the Hamster Wheel is the other hamsters on and around the wheel!!  There is Speed Work Guy who is there almost every night doing something interesting.  It's not always speed work but that's what it was the first couple of times I saw him so the name stuck.  There are the Gym Groupies downstairs who spend more time looking at each other than actually lifting weights.  They make me giggle because really what is the point??  There is Routine Lady who is always at the gym in the morning doing something.  She's usually on the elliptical or lifting weights but never seems to miss a day.  There is Toe Shoe Guy.  I only saw him once and it took EFFORT not to stop him mid-run and ask him about his shoes.  There is Tri-Lady.  I see her running and cycling all the time.  She's super fast and it doesn't even look like effort.  I don't know that she does triathlons but I wouldn't be surprised.  Last of all, there is Sweating on the Stairs Guy.  He dresses in some sort of lycra sweat suit to do the stair machine and he is ALWAYS pouring sweat all over the machine.  I'm sure that's the point, but I'm grossed out every time I see him...

Even with all the crazy people, I still love my Hamster Wheel.  It's better than rain and snow and general bad weather yuckiness!!  And I get the bonus of the other hamsters!!  :)

4 comments:

  1. "It's Not a Sobriety Test, People"
    HAHAHA :) awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that officer was a runner too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mike: that's so what I was thinking while I was there!!

    @Martha: I'm sure!!! I never thought about that...you were there, what do you think??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, he was either a reeeeaaaallllyyy dedicated runner or a bit of a pisser. It's Christmas, let's call him a reeeeeaaaallllyyy dedicated runner-that's what the new and improved Scrooge would do.

    ReplyDelete