Saturday, February 11, 2012

Epiphany

I've been running for four months...and in that time, I've gone from barely being able to run five minutes without being winded to an 8 mile outdoor run with light hills.  And I've taken four minutes off my PR for my mile.  (I'm actually really really sure I've taken more off but I wasn't calculating data earlier than that one...)  And, I'm officially signed up to run the Cap City Half on May 6.

But, over the past week or so, I've been very frustrated with my (perceived) lack of progress.  The first run I did at Sharon Woods kicked my butt so hard I couldn't finish it and my interval runs have been very very inconsistent.  And I still couldn't tell that I was getting any faster....and I started to doubt myself that I could even run a half in the time I wanted or beat Mike in that 5k.  And somewhere this week, I had an epiphany about all that.

I needed to stop whining about how I couldn't do it and focus on why I could.  I realized that I wasn't going to get faster if I didn't PRACTICE being faster.  I realized that part of the reason for intervals is so that my body builds up to learning how to go that speed.  And the reason for the long runs isn't just to go faster each time...it's to build up my body's tolerance to that distance for a run.  So, this week, I stopped focusing on the races and started focusing where I should have been focusing in the first place -- on being a better runner.  I concentrated on my breathing, focused really hard on keeping the attitude in a positive direction, and was able to go out and kick that trail's butt and complete consistent runs with what I had planned. 

Most of all, I learned that my motivation and drive have to come from within.  To get better, I have to believe that I am already better.  I have to have confidence in myself and know ultimately that nobody else can achieve my goals for me.  To continue to inspire others, I have to continue to inspire myself.

7 comments:

  1. Great post! Keep on kicking trail butt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Again! I agree with Anna, keep on kicking butt!

    Also, someone did this 3 thing, and linked my blog to their blog, so I linked your blog to it, so, um, you can either think it's cool/fun or ignore it, but, either way, here it is:

    http://whenmacandcheeseattacks.blogspot.com/2012/02/someone-gave-me-jumbo-sized-3-and-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. When it comes right down to it, running is about the mind. Everything else is just details. The more you run, you realize that the only consistent variable between a great run and an awful run is your mental state. You may or may not be well hydrated. You may have eaten incorrectly. You may or may not be sore from another workout. These things among many others are things that can impede your progress. But your mind state, you can overcome anything if your mental state is on course. Try to always be positive because if you think positive, then positive things will happen to you. Keep your mental state focused. In my opinion, its the most overlooked thing when I'm reading running programs. I feel one's mental approach to running is severely overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all!

    And Jonas, I absolutely agree. I have read through multiple books and websites on running, couch to 5k programs and not one of them gives the advice of slow down, breathe, and enjoy. I took your words to heart this week and told myself each lap of my intervals that "it's not as bad as you think" and, when I was done, it ended up as a really good run. I felt proud of myself for having beaten through that mental barrier that I had erected. So...thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the day (actually night) realized I was a runner -- I was going through some prolonged personal and emotional turmoil and went out for a run and had a kind of spiritual connection with my run. I remember running along the road, with all the lights of the city spread out below me, and just feeling peaceful. It was on that run that I realized that everything in my life was going to be alright.

    Running is a total mind game. I think strong running comes from understanding yourself, and learning about yourself as you run. Like, learning about how to personally tailor your relationship to running so that you can find victories in every run (even the crappy ones), and about learning how to compete against yourself and motivate yourself. Distance running, in particular, is about the mental focus to endure the distance and associated pain and discomfort, and to come out of it grinning ear to ear. I go running because it's me time, a chance to (mentally) rest, reflect, and escape from everything else. I'm so proud of you for having found your own (as cheesy as it sounds) spiritual connection with running.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jubilee: Thanks...it has taken me months to learn that it is really myself against my own mind out there on the run. My husband has said multiple times that I need to remember the enjoyment of the run and not just focus on what I'm not doing well. I like the idea of finding victories in every run...thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete