Saturday, August 11, 2012

An A for Effort

My kids start school in just over a week.  My youngest is going to be in first grade -- her first full days in elementary school.  My oldest starts sixth grade -- her first year in middle school.  As we reminisced this morning over breakfast about our favorite parts of schools, I made the comment that I hated PE as a kid and how, looking back, I wish that I had put more effort into it.  And I had a realization of how my opinion has come to change on this subject since I left school.

As a student, PE was the only subject that you could realistically get an A for effort.  We were graded on attendance and participation.  If you showed up and participated even half-heartedly, you earned an A.  If that had been the grading scale in English or Math, I'm pretty sure I would have been pretty mediocre at those subjects too.  As I became an educator, I continued to feel that this was fair.  Not everyone is naturally talented at athletics, of course.  If I come into school as an overweight kid, why should I be held to the same standard as a kid who is fit?  I can blame my bad genetics and bad upbringing as to why I should only have to participate to receive an A grade.

Almost twenty years out of high school now, I can't even believe that I used to believe that crap.  I found that paragraph above even difficult to write because it now sounds so ridiculous to me.  How many kids come in to elementary school behind their peers?  Every kid enters school with different genetics and different upbringings.  We still hold them to the same standards in the "academic" subjects.  Why would PE be any different?  Perhaps if I had been held to an actual standard in PE anytime from elementary school to high school to receive a grade, I would have seen the importance of exercise and athletics from a younger age.  Maybe it wouldn't have taken until my twenties to run a mile...and my thirties until I ran a second.

I have a recollection of my mom calling my junior high and complaining that I was required to complete a mile in a certain time to receive an A in the class.  The teacher backed off on the requirement but, looking back, she shouldn't have.  We require that students complete certain requirements to earn grades in every class.  PE should not be an exception.  If you can't complete a mile in 15 minutes, maybe you should fail.  There should be benchmarks for PE just like there are for every other subject.  Can you imagine passing math class without learning how to add?  Or passing history without knowing when the Civil War took place?  Why should PE be any different?

Remember the Presidential Fitness Award?  They still have that thing AND it has standards for students to meet in a number of different categories.  According to their scale, an average 11 year old girl should be able to run/walk a mile in 11:17.  Do I think that's reasonable to receive a average grade in a class?  As hard as it is to write, I do.  And the students should work toward that throughout the year.  It shouldn't be a surprise on the final exam.  There should be both physical and academic benchmarks to achieve in this class regarding your physical body.

Our children work hard in their academic subjects to learn both facts and critical thinking skills to help them through life.  By eliminating actual standards from PE, the children are robbed of the ability to learn both facts and critical activity skills that will help keep them healthy and productive for years to come.

12 comments:

  1. As someone who teaches / administers the presidential fitness class I can't agree with this more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I never thought about it like this before. As a kid/pre-teen I was tall and skinny compared to my peers. Still, I HATED PE (except for the units that involved the ropes and the parachute). I'm not even sure why I didn't like it, but it just wasn't fun. I wonder if I would have had to work for the grade if I would have tried harder or cared about it more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer -- that's so interesting to know. I always thought that it was just the unfit kids who hated PE. As for the ropes, I hated those too. Didn't everyone?

      Delete
  3. Y'know, as I got older (read: college and beyond) I found myself disappointed that physical education didn't *educate* that I could remember. There were games and introductions to sports and rope courses and whatever, but we were never taught the benefits of what we were doing (beyond the "teambuilding" mention during the ropes courses/trust exercises).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. That's kind of what led me to this blogpost today. I feel like we should have gotten some education on the "physical" aspect -- identifying muscles in the body, sports rules, and most important the WHY of physical education. But, maybe that was a bit too much for when I was a kid. The fact that my kids don't get that is ridiculous.

      Delete
  4. I like how my PE class has evolved - from 'games' to 'skills and games' to 'fitness and skills and games' to 'nutrition leads to good fitness, skills, and games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to like that but there's no like button. :) And yeah...you are one of the good teachers who gets it! And lucky enough to teach at a school where you can promote it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bree, I was subbing at my old school district, in the middle school a few years ago and they've now changed their PE class so that it has two separate sections; one works more like a traditional classroom teaching nutrition, and muscle groups, etc and the other section is more like traditional gym class where kids go to exercise, play games, etc.

    I couldn't agree with you more about holding people to the same standards to receive an "A" in PE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never thought about gym in this way before, but I completely agree with you. I grew up thinking I was bad at gym, and just not naturally athletic. I have no real info to base this on. I'm happy that as an adult, I have learned to really enjoy exercising and have made it part of my daily life. But I didn't get any of my current lifestyle from gym class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, first off, you got OUT of having to run the mile in jr. high!?! Maybe looking back that shouldn't surprise me.... But I remember in PE where girls would walk the mile and they would have something like 100 yards left, which they would be able to complete in the allotted time if they just jogged the last bit and they would refuse to do it! So they failed. Again. Because you got to try at least three times before the PE teachers would fail you. I thought they were absolutely crazy!

    ReplyDelete