Tuesday, February 7, 2012

NSV

In the lingo, that's a Non-Scale Victory.  Over the past few months, I've had so many NSVs that I've stopped counting them all.  But, I've had so many in the past week that I just had to write about them!

1.  I'm an Inspiration, Part 2
After crazy birthday fitness weekend, I was a bit sore.  Nursing two very aching quads and a huge blister on my left foot, I decided to take Tuesday as a slow it down and just get the distance in day.  Advice from the coach and the husband: slow slow slow!  Now, that's hard advice for me to follow because slow distance just isn't always fun on the hamster wheel.  As I was nearing my third running lap, one of Alexa's teachers came up behind me.  We've said hi at the gym and talked a little about our working out plans but this was really the first time that she had come up to me and really talked.  As it turns out, she's tired of spinning her wheels at the gym and has decided that she wants to give running a try....because she has seen all of my success.  So, I paid it forward and convinced her that she could run just a lap or two.  I slowed way down and was able to talk her through jogging an entire mile on the hamster wheel.  We spent the time talking about how to start running, why anyone can get started, and the myths of "toning" and "bulking" for women.  It felt amazingly awesome to be able to pay forward the advice and knowledge that I've learned over the past few months.  So, another incredible thanks to my mentors.... :)

2.  Steelers Fan?
No...I'm not a Steelers fan.  But, this Sunday?  I became a fan of Steelers jerseys.  We were given permission to wear NFL jerseys on Sunday because of the Super Bowl.  Being that I haven't really followed the NFL prior to this year, I don't own one of those.  (NY Rangers? yes.  Ohio State hockey?  yes.  NFL?  hahahaha)  Anyway, one of my coworkers had one that I could borrow.  When she brought it in, I looked at it and was a little skeptical cause it looked REALLY small.  But, I brought it home and tried it on anyway.  And, know what?  It fit perfectly.  In fact, I looked super darn cute in it.  Best part of the story?  When I wore it Sunday, she told me it was a boys large.  Wow.....never thought I'd fit into something that small again.  (And for the record in case you were curious....I was cheering the Niners all the way this year!!)

3.  I'm NOT Intimidated by You
Okay...so, maybe I am a little.  A week and a half ago, I was uber lucky to have one of the fitocracy gurus come out and teach me how to do some actual real lifting of weights.  So, aside from learning how to complete the lifts without injury, one of my goals for this week was to enter that "bodybuilder" section of the gym that is full of the heavy lifters without feeling intimidated.  Know what I learned this morning?  It's all about the attitude.  I entered by myself and decided I didn't care what the other people at the gym thought.  I did my lifting workout, was able to squat a barbell for the first time (WOO HOO!), and felt entirely comfortable.  But asking for a spotter on the bench presses....I'm building up to that.

3 comments:

  1. Woohoo on all accounts! Way to go. I am just amazed and happy with how well things are going for you. Keep up the good work.

    Well, except maybe that thing about the NY Rangers. Seriously? Everyone knows the best teams in hockey are the Pens and the Bruins. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!! How cool is it that you got to talk about the benefits of running with someone else! How cool is it that you knew what you were talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!! :)

    I am still kind of rocking the vibe from last week so it's been good!! :)

    And, Maurice...you aren't going to sway me from my Rangers! :)

    ReplyDelete