Monday, August 29, 2011

8 Mile? Wasn't that a Movie?

I was not looking forward to my 8 mile training session today.  I didn't have a plan except "go freaking just do it and stop whining."  I called Heidi to get a route suggestion for the day since 8x9=72 laps at the gym would make more nuts than I already am.  She suggested the Hilliard Rails to Trails trail because of the pretty views and the fact that it has mile markers ready to go.  So, I dropped Alexa off and headed out to the trailhead. 

The trail was blacktop...nice since that's what I will be walking on for the Half.  It's nicely maintained and heads by Homestead Park.  I really enjoyed seeing all the people passing me running and biking.  Everyone was so friendly, saying hi and good morning.  That really kept me going for most of the walk.  I won't lie...I walked the vast majority of it.  I think I had about three jogging sessions. 

Thing I learned today.....my mind does eventually go to that happy place.  I was focusing on my breathing and on keeping my heart rate up instead of keeping track of laps, times, and clicking the stupid lap timer button.  And, oddly enough, it was sooo much more enjoyable.  I was able to enjoy the music, enjoy the scenery, and enjoy the nice people. 

Other thing I learned, my endomondo app on my phone and the mile markers did NOT match up at all.  So, I either went 8 miles or 8.81.  Either way, I'm duly proud of myself for going the distance.  I hit a point at about 6.5 miles where I thought I was going to pass out but that's the beauty of an out-and-back walk.  There was no other way to get home and I knew stopping was wayyy worse than continuing.  So, I bucked up, focused on my music, and finished strong.  :)

I'm impressed with myself and so excited to keep it going this week and through the rest of my training!!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you Bree! That's awesome. You will totally be ready to do the half in October. And I'm glad you enjoyed the trail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Bree. Is that phone app a pedometer? Those are very inaccurate, and stride length dependent. Outside is the only way to go. I can't believe you actually do distance on that short little track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The phone app is gps based. I've used pedometers and could never get them to be accurate so I gave up. I have two tracks that I use...one is 9 laps per mile and the other is 12. I like them for the shorter distances (2-4 miles) but I have learned anything over 4 is terrible. I keep it manageable by breaking them up into patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember doing part of that trail when we had retreat in Columbus one year-it IS pretty! Glad you got to enjoy your mileage outside-too bad there wasn't a rabid javelin to run away from!

    ReplyDelete
  5. RABID JAVELINS!!!

    They are only part of the scary Phoenix landmarks...

    ReplyDelete