Thursday, April 12, 2012

Six Months and Counting

Has it really been six months since I started running?

It all started with the words "you can go further than you think you can...just slow down and breathe."  And, with some great coaching and great support systems, I have surpassed anything that even I thought possible six months ago.  I remember posting back in October that I finally ran seven minutes without stopping with a goal of running a mile.  Can it be that I set a new PR for my 5k time at 34:43 last night and that 5k is now an easy distance for me?  I eyed the people in October lifting the weights as strange and foreign.  Today, I'm one of them and improving my lifts every session.

Those six months have been some of the best in my life and definitely in terms of making some radical changes.  Changes to running routines (October), a new lifting routine (February), and diet (April) have led to an amazing 35 pounds lost, a size drop from 16 to 10 (and counting!), and an incredible wellspring of optimism and self confidence.

It would be completely unreasonable at this point not to send kudos and thanks to the people that have helped make this happen over the past six months: first and foremost my husband Mike.  Without his support and encouragement, I would in no way be where I am today.   Josh, my running not-coach (*grin*), who very first told me that I could run further than I thought.  His confidence in me and constant challenging me to go further has helped me more on the road to running than I can put into words.  Joey, my trainer (see...you aren't a guru anymore), who taught me that conventional wisdom might not be the most effective way to meet your goal.  Taking the time to teach and to support and encourage helped me drop 10 pounds in March and definitely push past a dietary plateau.  My friends and supporters at fitocracy (nyrangerfan, Maurice, Blister, Talm, Fr3sh, SilverSwift, SK, Reminisce, lokkju, Saai, YT, bondmonster, argyle, DuzAwe, MearCat, das_pscho, RunnerChick...the list could go on for ages on this one) have taught me about the necessity of community spirit.

I read somewhere on fitocracy that getting started starts with a foot out the door.  But, for me, it started with someone else's belief in me...paying that forward is the best way to say thank you.  Have crazy goals.  You never know what you can accomplish.

4 comments:

  1. Hey. I was mentioned! I am internet famous now. :)

    Seriously though, thanks for the "thanks", but I think I speak for everyone here when I say that you did all of this yourself. You freaking earned the hell out of these accomplishments. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mike: <3 and thanks...

    @Eric: And I absolutely could never have done it without support from my fabulous friends and family. So, thank you... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! I got a mention. I too am now Internet famous. :). Thank you hon!

    ReplyDelete