Thursday, July 26, 2012

I'm Sexy and I Know It!

It's all about perception.

A few tidbits over the past few months have gotten me thinking about how important perception is to exercise and losing weight.  My progress and my body image are relative to how I think about them.  Consider the following:

Back on Easter, my mom asked if I was skinny.  Now, to me, skinny is not something I aspire to be.  Trim?  Yes.  Fit?  Yes.  Look good in a bikini lounging on the beach?  Absolutely.  But skinny?  Never.  Skinny to me implies ribs sticking out and an unhealthy sort of look.  Think MaryKate and Ashley Olsen if you get the picture.  But, when I tried to answer the question, I realized that it was a question of perception.  To a person who struggles with their weight, I am probably fit and skinny!  To a person who has been an athlete her whole life, I'm probably still a bit on the pudgy side.  And they are both right.


Because body image isn't a matter of a number on a scale or a number on a clothing label.  And it certainly isn't reflected in BMI or my body fat percentage.  It isn't even about how much weight I can squat or how fast I can run a mile.  Body image is very personal and completely about perception.  On a good day, I can perceive myself to be smoking hot and awesome looking in that string bikini.  And, on others, I can look in the mirror and see nothing but cellulite.  Which is the real, true, objective image?  Neither...because it's all based in perception.


Body image and "sexiness" isn't what you see in the mirror.  It's very intangible and results more from your own personal confidence and mental image than anything else.  Having a great day?  Everyone knows it and your attitude shifts and changes as a result.  You automatically seem more attractive because it is your positivity that is attracting others.  Having a crappy day?  That negativity rubs off too.  


No matter where you are in your body's journey, keep it up.  Whatever your goal is -- focus on the process and stay positive.  That positive attitude and self confidence will enable you to reach your goals -- no matter what your personal daily perception happens to be.


4 comments:

  1. Exactly! So much of how we think others view us is really how we view ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally just tried to prop/like that comment. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, my name is Breezey and I'm addicted to Fitocracy.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm.... :) That was never in doubt from day one. But, not entirely sure how that response came about from my blogpost. *grin*

      Delete