Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Going for Gold

We watch sporting events in the USA like there is no tomorrow.  We revere our athletes and our coaches and firmly believe that they have an abundance of natural talent.  We see their success on the court or field and think how lucky they are to be at the top of their gene pool.  We see athletic endorsements and fame and fortune.  We see attractive athleticism and six pack abs.  And, all the while, think that they are so lucky to have natural talent.  I am no exception.

I am an avid fan of the Olympics.  It doesn't really matter whether it's the summer or winter games.  I start with the opening ceremonies and watch almost religiously every day and as much coverage as I can get.  You see, my goal as a child was to be in the Olympics.  I was going to be an Olympic gymnast (or figure skater...my exercise ADD started early).  As a child, teen, and young adult, I always felt that what stopped me from realizing that dream was natural talent. 

While it's extremely probable that lack of natural talent prevented an Olympic run, I know now that professional and Olympic athletes are not just about natural talent.  I've watched Subway commercials that outline Michael Phelps' training schedule.  I watched features where Ryan Lochte explains how tire flipping helped his swimming.  I know that even sprinters like Usain Bolt hit the gym for weight work.  And heck...have you seen the muscles on the gymnasts??  These athletes who grace our television and computer screens for two weeks every four years work their tails off hours and hours every day.  We may watch every race, match or game, but what we don't see is the incredible dedication and focus that these athletes have had for their entire lives.

None of these athletes just jumped in the pool, laced up a pair of hockey skates, or pulled on a uniform and became stellar.  They started as kids and made a choice somewhere along the line to work their tails off.  They gave up nights and weekends and proms and a normal childhood to chase a nearly impossible dream.  And, whether they win gold, silver, bronze, or just a fabulous opportunity to compete for their countries, these athletes deserve some absolute recognition for their countless hours of dedication to their sport.  Because natural talent can only get you so far...hard work, focus, and relentless determination are the defining factors that make the difference between competing for gold and just watching from the sidelines.

4 comments:

  1. This hits the nail on the head Bree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right. Genetics plays a big role, but that only goes so far. I've spent 42 hours (so far) running 251 miles training for the Denver Marathon. I know genetically I will never hit the 2:08 that the Olympic winner from Uganda hit yesterday, but I can do a lot better than the 5:45 I hit in my first marathon last year. I'm shooting for 4:10 in this one, and to prepare I've done more cross training, more strength training and have stuck to my training plan much better this year than last. It's hard - getting out for 5 miles this morning before work was really tough, but I did it because I know that every minute spent training now is going to make Sept 22 that much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All you can do is train for the best! 5:45 is a great time for your first marathon and kudos to you for going out for your second! I think you say it well that you had to stick to a training plan and do a lot of cross training and strength training. So many casual runners get caught up in the running that they don't necessarily understand the importance of strength to running. Let us know how you do on Sept 22 and keep up the great training!! :)

    ReplyDelete