Saturday, November 17, 2012

Are You Ready?

"I'm working my way into it."
"Starting small...that's how I'm going to do it."
"I'm too busy."
"I don't have time."
"I'll start when life gets less hectic."
"I couldn't do that.  There's too much work."

I have heard these reasons (excuses) from various people (including myself) throughout the years as to why they haven't yet made exercise or nutrition a priority in their lives.  Most of them (myself again included) believed in what they were saying.  What I've learned is that all of those items really mean one thing: "I'm not yet ready to make that change in my life."

It doesn't matter if their doctor has said that they have to change their ways.  It doesn't matter the prevalence of cancer or diabetes or heart disease in their family history.  It doesn't matter if they are unhappy with what they see in the mirror.  What they are really saying is that right now, in their lives, they aren't ready to make that change.  And NOTHING external will force that change to happen until they are willing and ready to accept that change in their lives.

I have unfortunately had the occasion to need to lose more than 50 pounds during more than one time in my life.  I would like to claim that both of these were related to pregnancy but they weren't.  I'd like to say that I saw a need for change and was "too busy" or "nothing worked."  But, my reality is that I wasn't ready to change.  Life was always "too something" for exercise, eating right, and prioritizing my health.  But, when that something clicked in my brain, weight loss was effortless.  I'm not claiming it just melted off and I didn't work hard for it.  But, when my brain was engaged in the activity and I was ready for the change, there was nothing that could stop me.  Logging and weighing every food I ate didn't seem like a chore.  Drinking water instead of soda was easy.  Going to the gym five times a week became fun.  And when both my body and my brain were engaged together, change happened.  It didn't happen overnight.  But, that day when I looked at the scale and my brain registered 50 pounds lost, I didn't remember it being difficult.  (I'm sure my husband and coaches would disagree that it wasn't difficult or stressful at times.)  But, my memory is that the scale just moved consistently.

So, when are you READY to make a change?  That varies by person.  I can't tell you when you are ready to make that change.  But, I can tell you that trying to change when you AREN'T ready will only lead to cheating, disappointment, and frustration.  Find your own spark.  Find what makes you tick and what makes it FUN.  And make those goals short term.  Don't focus on the 20 year reunion in 2 years or the anniversary trip in 1 year.  Focus on the athletic goals -- best a PR, log your food for seven days, lift a little more than you did last time.  Or heck...just make it a point to walk around the block every day.  Every little success will help you become ready for an even greater one.  Until...one day, you will have found a lifestyle change without even planning it.

1 comment:

  1. Most of the people I know who have made lasting changes in their lives aren't focused on an end goal (ie. reunion, wedding, trip) but on trying to be healthy so they can live life. They focus on the healthy. And, yeah, totally, it's a choice!

    ReplyDelete