Sunday, November 6, 2011

Why Do I Bother?

This week's training sessions saw some interesting ups and downs. 

After four days of 2 mile run sessions, Wednesday dawned as a welcome day off.  But, as Alexa loves to race in the morning, we took off running across the blacktop to Samantha's school.  And that's where I learned my lesson in proper running footwear.  Evidently, ankle boots are not the way to go.  I came down funny on my left foot, overcompensated to the right, and ended up on the blacktop with a skinned knee, a skinned elbow, and a slightly twisted ankle.  I was so glad that Wednesday was a planned day off.

I aborted the run planned for Thursday because of the pain in my foot/ankle and went for a nice, slow walk with Hailey instead.  I was concerned with Friday but thought I would just take it slow.  I was still aiming for Saturday as a 2 1/2 mile run to push myself a little further this week.  Like I said, why do I bother?

1 1/2 miles into the run, I felt good and my foot wasn't bothering me at all.  I was definitely going slower than usual but I was having a hard time judging because I wasn't on my usual track.  I was at a 12 laps to a mile track instead and my lap times were totally different.  So, I decided to aim for 3 miles instead.  And, once I hit 3, I couldn't just leave it there.  So, I finished off another quarter mile at a much faster pace (about 12min/mile pace).  And, as I was leaving the gym, I thought to myself, I so could have gone further at that slower pace.  I ended up running a little over 53 minutes, which is pretty close to that 60 minute goal.

So, new goal again?  Not really..I still have two goals for November that I haven't yet really hit.  The first is to run continuously for 60 minutes.  Most likely, I will hit that on Tuesday with my long run.  The second....to get my average steady mile pace down to 14:00.  With my new training schedule courtesy of Josh (thanks!), I am absolutely confident that I will hit that before Thanksgiving!

(On a housekeeping note, I have changed the settings so all of you who don't want google accounts can now post onto the blog....)

2 comments:

  1. I thought you were talking about OUR housekeeping. Oh well :)

    LOVE YOU :)

    ReplyDelete