Monday, October 31, 2011

The Running Bug

The way random events come together never ceases to amaze me.

Just over a year ago, I parted ways involuntarily with my previous employer.  As upset (isn't that a nice word?) as I was at the parting, it led to me to my current employer.  Without my current employer, I promise the world that I would NEVER have signed up for, let alone finished, a half marathon.  And without that half marathon sign up and subsequent blog, I never would have reconnected with my friend/coach, Josh.  And without that reconnection, I would not be calling myself a runner today.  While I am absolutely taking the credit for the hard work I've done, without the motivating words and consistent confidence from him, I would not be where I am today.  And where am I today??

As of Saturday, I hit my goal of 30 minutes!!  Running just under 2 miles in that time, I was ecstatic when I finished!!  I had never run that far or for that length of time.  In fact, until a few weeks ago, I never thought I could even attempt it.  And, oddly enough, I was shocked by myself again on Sunday when I ran 30 minutes and was able to complete just one more lap in that time, putting me at 2.11 miles for my running distance.

Today?  "Take it easy," was the advice.  So, I forced myself to slow down and keep myself at a pace that wasn't a challenge.  And, after two miles, I really felt that I could have gone further.  But, more than anything, I realized that I was able to listen to what my body was telling me and slow the pace down when it was too fast for an easy run.  Even though the time difference between a "pushing it a little" lap and an "easy" lap isn't that big (about 8-10 seconds), it was a huge difference in how my body felt doing it.

I definitely think that's progress.  Next goal: 3.1 miles run continuously.  Time Frame: Thanksgiving.  But, honestly, I don't think I'll make it to Thanksgiving.  Maybe I'll have something to cheer about on Vet's Day after all... :)

2 comments:

  1. :) You need a like button for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice two miles! Taking it easy on the next run after doing a long run is the right thing to do too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete