Sunday, July 10, 2011

I Can Go the Distance

After missing the first five mile long run for Samantha's birthday, I was a little skeptical about going straight to the six mile today.  I debated long and hard this week in my head before deciding to do the five miles and not the six.  But, after talking with Mike, I decided to get up early this morning and head out for six miles.  Outside seemed the best option as 72 laps around an indoor track did NOT sound appealing.  I set myself three time goals since I had never done it before...a crazy ambitious goal of 1:30:00 (which didn't sound achievable even as I set it), a reasonably ambitious goal of 1:45:00 and an outside slowest possible of 2:00:00.  I am happy to report that I finished in 1:46:28.  I was so proud of myself that I came inside and promptly announced that I was going to puke.  (At which point, Alexa pointed out that I should go use the toilet for that...isn't she smart!)

I was so happy to see that I could run for longer periods of time even if I couldn't maintain that pace for the full six miles.  No six miler this week though...five miles is the long run!  :)  (And I even have the day off!!!)

Thanks again to all of my HUGE supporters who are helping me get through this...I have ignited a 5K craze for my friend Janine (who finished her SECOND 5k yesterday at an even faster time than last week's) and have found time to talk training with my fellow staff members at work.  I'm working so hard and wouldn't be able to do it without my friends!

7 comments:

  1. EXCELLENT, Bree! 6 miles is nearly half the race distance...I have no doubt whatsoever that you'll be able to do the 13.1.((HUGS))^5

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - you da woman! congratulations - i am so proud of you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that post was from your mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all of the encouragement!!! :) I have to say that I couldn't do this without all of you!

    ReplyDelete