Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Soundtrack Matters

In my perusal (I love that word) of the Columbus Half Marathon's website, I read in the FAQ that participants are allowed to use headsets for the race.  I actually had to read it at least a half dozen times because I really thought to myself, "how on earth would I possibly get through 13.1 miles WITHOUT music??"  Evidently, in major races for those crazy people who run to actually win prizes, it is normal to run with nothing but your brain to distract you.  How insane are those people?  (Sorry Pop-Up...but you just gotta go with me on this one.)  My brain could NEVER distract me for that length of time while I was running.  I'm always thinking about when the heck I'll be done with this....I need distraction!!!

I was thinking about this interesting fact today on my 4-mile training session.  I did the first mile in a haphazard run as far as I can---walk a lap---run as far as I can---walk a lap and the rest of the miles in the two laps walking to every one jogging.  And, as the song Candlelight by the Maccabeats came on (if you haven't heard that...go youtube it...it's a fabulous Chanukah song set to the tune of Dynamite by Taio Cruz) (and yes...I listen to whatever when I run, even Christmas and Chanukah in July)...and I noticed that because I really like the song and it always gets me going, I could run faster and further because the song was revving me up.  The same thing happened with Disturbia and Fame....so I just need to find MORE songs like these.

So, I pose to you, my readers (all like half dozen of you), what are the songs that get you motivated and really PUMPING for your training sessions???

4 comments:

  1. I suppose the Rocky theme is overdone? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah......and it doesn't get me going. Most of my stuff is music I can sing to that has a happy upbeat beat....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww man! That totally negates Chariots of Fire too! I don't think there IS there any other workout songs....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chariots of Fire would be a good one....even though it doesn't have words. :) Good suggestion! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete