Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Today I Learn about Hamstrings

The hamstring is the muscle in the back of your thigh.  Did you all know that?  I bet you did....

I think somewhere in the back of my head I knew it too.  This morning, my hamstring muscle in my left leg decided to go on some sort of strike....

I got up super early this morning (6:30 is early) and was excited to complete my third 3-mile training session.  Sunday had been such a poo that I was excited to get going this morning and have a great new time and be able to maybe go more of the distance jogging than I did on Sunday.  I walked a little to warm up and then started to jog.  In the first ten seconds, my leg seized up and I had to walk.  I thought to myself that I just hadn't warmed up enough so I kept walking for about five more minutes and then started to jog again...I didn't even last ten seconds.  On the first full rotation of my legs, I had to stop and walk again.  So I aborted the session to two miles (since I didn't have time to WALK a full three at that pace) and walked the rest of the way, testing every five minutes or so as I went.

So all my experts (thanks Heidi, Brian, Mike and the nice fellows at Columbus Running Co) say that means I should rest it.  Ugh....I'm so terrified of taking a few days off because I have been doing so well.  But, I also don't want to end up so injured that I can't complete my race.

As a result...no more running for me until Saturday.  And then I'll get to run in NY!!!  :)

Should be fun....can't wait to get back out there!

2 comments:

  1. Resting an injury is really important. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. STRETCH!!! Wish we could run together while you're here!

    ReplyDelete