Sunday, June 5, 2011

When 68 Degrees Isn't

I did my first three mile trek outside today.  I spent some time on the USA Track and Field website planning a new route, I got up early, and I was excited (sort of) about going out for my THREE MILES!  I knew it would be a better training session than Thursday since I wasn't at the gym and I was more mentally prepared for it.

So the upshot of today's training was a new Personal Record (yay me!) and the discovery that if my phone says it is 68 degrees out, I should really look at the humidity before deciding what the actual temperature is.  Today's lesson...68 degrees with 94% humidity does not feel like 68 degrees.  It feels decidedly yucky and hot.  I can't imagine training in an actual hot weather climate.

I also got home from my run frustrated with myself.  I understand that I can't go my two mile pace for my entire three miles (yet) but I don't understand why I can't go my two mile pace for the first two miles of my three mile walk/jog.  Mike tried to explain it to me but it still seems like it might be all in my head and just something mental I need to break through to be able to complete. 

I made a few new additions to the blog in a countdown to my race, my PRs, and my weekly training schedule.   I'm most excited about updating the Personal Record part since I was able to set TWO personal records this week (one for the 2 mile and another for the 3 mile).  And the countdown timer took forever to get right....

Here's happy jogging and a happy rest day (or yoga maybe) tomorrow! 

5 comments:

  1. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was running in Mesa my mom used to ride her bike with me and mist me from her sprayer periodically. I also ran through each and every lawn sprinkler I saw-even if it took me across the street at times. So, yeah, hot weather stinks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mike: thanks!
    @Martha: yeah...I imagine Phoenix is only fun to run in the winter and in the nighttime. :)

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One rule I've always heard is that when running, you should dress for 20 degrees higher than the temperature. That's how hot it will feel when your running. So if it's 68 degrees, you should dress for 88 degrees. That's why sometimes you see crazy looking runners with shorts on in cold weather. I start wearing shorts when it's in the mid-40s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefered the very very early morning runs. It was a lot quieter!

    ReplyDelete