Saturday, October 15, 2011

11 hours and counting....

It's hard to believe that the months and weeks of training are coming down to being at the start line in a matter of eleven hours.  I have learned so much not only about racing and running, but also about myself in the past few months.  As I try to keep myself calm and not nervy, I'm reflecting over those things that will stay with me.

Lesson 1: Goal setting is good.  Being happy with who and what you are is better.
When I started out on this journey, I got very caught up in my training schedule and not missing a day and pushing myself to meet new PRs and being upset when I wasn't hitting new records every day.  The overrecording, overthinking, and not being able to be where I wanted to be on specific dates was really frustrating.  In the past couple of weeks, I've learned that it's a lot more fun to learn to run the slow way...without an insane training schedule and killing myself to get it done.  I'm not going to be an Olympic runner and I'm not going to win any of these races anytime soon.  (I haven't given up the goal of being fast yet.)  I'm still working on learning to like running (it's getting there) but that's where it has to start.  I need to stop competing against those elite athletes because I'm not them.  And I need to start being proud of myself for what I've accomplished...I'm participating in my FIRST HALF MARATHON tomorrow!!  (Notice that first....not only.  I already have this race on my calendar for next year....*grin*!)

Lesson 2: "Finishing = Winning"
I saw that on a shirt today at the expo (lesson #3 -- see below) and it really resonated with me. Between coming in last at the MultiSport 5k and the realization that I had fallen enough off my training pace that the goal of three hours wasn't going to happen, I really felt like there was no point in even trying the event.  BUT, as I had already paid for it (and publicly announced that I was participating on this blog), I knew that I wasn't getting out of it.  So, I changed my training tactics and, more importantly, changed my attitude.  It wasn't about winning or losing....it was about finishing.  A half marathon.  Which I *never* would have thought I could complete if you asked me a year ago.  It is about pushing through and persevering.  Even when I think I can't.  I do have more in me and my mind will quit long before my body will.  (Thanks to Scooby and Pop-Up for that bit of advice...)

Lesson 3: Expos are for shopping!
So I went to the expo today to pick up my race packet and discovered a plethora (*grin*) of shopping opportunities!  While most of the stuff was way out of my price range or not anything I was looking for, I did find a great vendor that sold cute shirts for women.  I will post their website once it comes back up!  I got my hot pink 13.1 shirt as well as a magnet for my car.  It was a fun event!

Lesson 4: Humility
I have so many people who have asked about training, read my blog, given advice, and have been pestered by me with so many questions I'm surprised I haven't been blocked.  I have connected with family and friends who run, with co-workers who signed up for the race with me, and friends from high school who I haven't seen since graduation.  I am humbled by the number of people who saw me as important enough to follow my blog and ask about my training.  I am humbled by people who have told me that I have inspired them.  And, for me, this race is dedicated to all of those people who have been with me at some point of my journey.

See you at the FINISH LINE!!!  :)

2 comments:

  1. I like lesson #2! Its so true! Great job on your race! You rocked! (and yes, I know I wrote that before you completed. I meant to.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear all about the 1/2! We're thinking about you, and wish we could be there to cheer you on!!

    ReplyDelete