Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Runner in Training Part 2

Back in July, I posted a quote about there being no such thing as a fake runner.  At the time, I had placed myself in a category called "Runner in Training."  As of this week, I am officially done being "in training" as a runner.

Sunday's workout saw an enormous amount of obstacles.  1.  I left my gym bag at home and had to go back and get it before work.  2.  I got a text from Mike asking if I knew what he found in the wash...followed by a picture of my heart rate monitor.  UGH.  3.  When I threw caution to the wind and went to the gym anyway, I forgot my light snack at work and discovered an almost dead battery on my phone/mp3 player.  But...listening to the little voice in my head (you know who you are), I decided to just go for it anyway.  I mentally calculated the distance I usually go in the time I had planned and decided on 2 laps warmup, three reps of 5 running and 2 recovery, and then a 2 lap cooldown.  After the first seven laps, I thought.."well, if I can do 2 more, I'll be at a mile."  After nine laps, I thought.."well, if I can do 2 more, I will have actually RUN a mile."  After I hit the mile, I just said "eff it!  I'll just see how far I can go..."  Final answer was 22:30 and 1.55 miles.  It wasn't until I got home that I realized that I had just run half of a 5k!

Monday saw a much easier run/walk session as I had overdone slightly on Sunday and was feeling it a bit.  But, Tuesday saw me run two more miles with a 4 1/2 minute recovery time in the middle.  The first and last time I had ever run a mile before this was at least nine years ago.  I tripled my running mileage this week...and it's only Wednesday!!

So, my thought for today....I am officially done being a "Runner in Training."  I am officially a Runner.

2 comments: