Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Because It Can Experience Pleasure

Day 7 of the #loveyourbodychallenge from Molly Galbraith of GirlsGoneStrong.

Reason #7 to Love My Body:  Because It Can Experience Pleasure

Haha!  There is so much fun to be had with this topic, but I think I'll keep it clean (mostly).  My body experiences pleasure through all five of my senses: the smell of brewing coffee, the taste of chocolate, the sight of the sky as it turns to blue in the morning, the feel of a barbell between my hands, the sound of my children's laughter.  There are so many ways that I get to experience the pure bliss of sensation that I mostly take them all for granted.  Today's mission is to write down a list of my pleasures (big and small, simple and complex) that I get to enjoy!  I'm going to enjoy by sense...

I have the pleasure of seeing smiles.  I have the pleasure of seeing where I'm walking.  I get to enjoy the sight of a sunrise, a sunset.  I can see to put weights on my barbells.  I have the sheer immense pleasure of reading a book.  I am fortunate enough that my eyes can see to drive myself anywhere, which gives me freedom.  Seeing pictures and being able to know that the words that I type are correct is something that I take for granted.  I can see to swype on my phone and read a text.  I can read and get lost in the internet on a variety of very silly sites.

I have the pleasure of hearing my alarm clock in the morning (so I'm not late).  I have the pleasure of hearing fabulous songs on the radio.  I have the pleasure of hearing someone say "I love you."  I have the pleasure of hearing all the fun sounds of summer like lawnmowers and crickets in the summer.  I can hear the patter of rain or the blowing of snow on the roof during weather.  I get to hear thunder even if it scares me!  I can hear all the songs of One Direction blaring from my daughter's room (and be thankful that it isn't Justin Bieber).  I can joyfully hear myself complain about the loud music emanating from my daughter's bedroom.  I can hear people to talk endlessly on the phone.

I have the pleasure of tasting a deliciously crafted latte from Starbucks.  I have the pleasure of tasting some amazing homemade marinara sauce.  I know what a Snickers bar tastes like.  I can taste fruit and fish and chicken and doughnuts and know the difference between all of these things!  I can eat for pleasure and not just for sustenance.  I can taste rain and snow and sunshine!  I can taste when something is off and know not to eat it!

I have the pleasure of smelling some beautiful perfume.  I can smell a spring day when the flowers are blooming.  I can smell cut grass.  I can smell the hard work of dirty sweaty clothes.  I can smell cookies baking and sauce cooking and chocolate.  I can smell the salt lick of the ocean and the cool mountain air of the trees.  I have the pleasure of knowing the smells of winter, spring, summer and fall.  I can smell peanut butter and freshly made ice cream.  I can smell coffee brewing.  I can smell espresso brewing.  Have I mentioned coffee yet?

I have the pleasure of feeling silk and lace and all those happy girly feels of beautiful clothes on my body.  I have the pleasure of feeling sand in my toes on the beach.  I have the pleasure of hugs and kisses.  I have the pleasure of the best hugs on the planet from my family.  I have the pleasure of knowing the difference between a hug hello, a hug goodbye, and a hug of comfort.  And they are all distinctly different.  I have the pleasure of feeling the spark that ignites when you touch someone special for the first time.  I am distinctly fortunate to have that feeling every day with the man I married.  I have the pleasure of feeling someone play with my hair and touch me in all the romantic ways he knows I love.  I have the pleasure of feeling the delicious cold of snow and the fall of rain and the grass beneath my feet in summer.  And today, I had the pleasure of feeling a barbell between my hands and knowing the feeling of strength.

So yeah, I can experience pleasure...in all sorts of amazing ways.  Even ways I take for granted on a daily basis.


No comments:

Post a Comment