Saturday, March 8, 2014

Because It's a Miracle

Day 4 of the #loveyourbodychallenge from Molly Galbraith of GirlsGoneStrong.

Reason #4 to Love My Body:  Because It's a Miracle



A friend of mine mentioned last night that he didn't deserve my kindness and that I shouldn't worry about him.  And I was baffled, because he is an incredibly important person to me.  He shows me kindness and supports me in my endeavors and always reminds me that I'm an amazing person.  He writes with such imagery and detail that it leaves me breathless.  And that creativity and generosity of spirit will always have my kindness and respect and love.  While he may not currently recognize his inner strength and wisdom, I hope that I can help him to find those qualities within himself.

And, as I sat contemplating my purpose today, our interaction last night reminded me of the starfish and helped me to really define my purpose and my impact. To make a difference to this one.  To help others learn the value in themselves.

It has taken me most of my life to understand this aspiration.  I heard the story of the starfish when I was in high school, but I don't remember when or where.  And it stuck with me.  And, as I've gone through my life, I've found myself drawn to people and situations where I naturally want to help others find the best in themselves.  In every relationship (friend, coworker, acquaintance) I've ever had, helping is what came naturally.

I have always felt compelled to help others find the best in themselves.  I try to help them see how amazing they truly are, even when sometimes they don't feel it.  Especially when they don't feel it.  Because, the deep down truth is that we are all miracles.  Every one of us was born to complete a purpose to those we come in contact with.  I may not ever know the impact of what I say to another human being, but I like to think that a simple smile to someone who isn't expecting it might brighten their day.

As for the impact I'm having, it's motivating to know that I've inspired others.  I have created a fire in friends and family to find health and fitness.  I have helped friends find the courage to either stay with or leave careers.  I have brought a smile to someone's day.  I have helped teach the next generation that kindness, no matter how small, is important.  Because, the reality is, we will never know the impact that we have on others' lives with a simple word, deed, or facial expression.

So, while I might not be able to find a cure for cancer or clean up the entire planet, I can make a difference in the lives of those around me.  And inspire them to create change within themselves to discover the very best person inside themselves.  And maybe if each one of us finds the best of the best within us, that will be the catalyst to make the world a better place for everyone.

2 comments:

  1. And everyone you meet is like the starfish...you made a difference! Glad to see you blogging again, I miss you!

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you too!!! Let's do coffee or something one day! :)

    ReplyDelete